Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Play I'm In


I recently got a part in the Covey's "Blind Date." The production is actually four short plays all called "Blind Date." Three of them are by local playwrights: Scott Bronson-who wrote "Dial Tones" which I was in earlier this year, Eric Samuelson-who is also directing and I've heard is AMAZING to work with, and Melissa Leilani Larson-who's play is the only one of the local's that I've had the chance to read (it is SO sweet and the little twist is great). I am going to be in the play by Horton Foote who is a famous playwright who is unfortunately no longer with us. 

I play Dolores, a housewife in the 1920's living in Harrison, Texas. Dolores's painfully awkward niece is visiting and Dolores is trying to get her over her social ineptitude around boys by teaching her to be gracious. It's going to be such a fun part and I can't wait to do it but I'm starting to get a little nervous about my lines. 

Dolores is a talker and is in most of the play which I'm guessing is going to be around 30 minutes long when we perform it. She has several monologues and I've never had to memorize so many in such a short amount of time. Our director, Eric, would like us to have our lines memorized when we start rehearsal on January 3rd because we open on February 3rd and one month is not a long time to rehearse. I really really want to do a good job with this play because when I did 3 Musketeers I had a lot of issues. I just don't want to be thought of as difficult to work with. I just don't want my work ethic to be called into question and I want to make a good impression and I feel like I have to make up for my last play a little too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment